MacKenzie Art Gallery


The opening of the Norman Mackenzie Art Gallery in Regina in 1953 was an important milestone in the development of the arts in Saskatchewan. The gallery is the legacy of prominent Regina lawyer Norman Mackenzie, who assembled the first art collection of note in the province.

Upon his death in 1936 Mackenzie bequeathed his collection, along with an endowment, to the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus. In June of 1937 well-known Regina architect F. H. Portnall was awarded the contract by the University of Saskatchewan to create an art gallery building for Regina College in Regina, Saskatchewan.  When the gallery opened it was the largest art gallery in Western Canada, with the exception of the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Douglas Morton, who would later be known as a member of “The Regina Five”, was a member of the acquisitions committee for the new gallery. He was instrumental in selecting the first purchase for the new gallery’s collection in 1957, Harold Town's, Tower of Babbling, which can be viewed in the ARTSask theme Place.

In 1990 the MacKenzie Art Gallery made the transition from being a university-run gallery to becoming a community-based institution. At that time it also moved into its current location in the T.C. Douglas Building at the edge of Regina’s magnificent Wascana Park.

Gallery Professionals

View Artwork from the MacKenzie Gallery Collection
Canadian Heritage University of Regina Mackenzie Art Gallery Mendel Art Gallery Sask Learning